Sunday 10 July 2011

why.

There is a question i get asked a lot, and it bugs me. Why North Melbourne?
My first response: Why not?
My second response: Ask dad.
My third response: Because it's in my blood.

I have a theory that 'you don't choose your club, your club chooses you'. Almost like that weird hat thing in Harry Potter. And it would make sense if that was the case...
Collingwood supporters need dental work, St Kilda supporters believe they are better than they actually are and Melbourne supporters are just there.

So how did North Melbourne choose me?
Well maybe they just liked the look of me.. However I think there is one thing that makes North Melbourne supporters stand out from the rest, and that something is pride.

When it comes to my year level at school, I am the single North Melbourne supporter. And you know what? I am probably the proudest too. I wear my scarf too school after a great win, and defend the clubs actions after a tough defeat. I'm a proud person, too, and am proud of my club and what they achieved over time.

I was never really a big supporter growing up, however there were two real defining moments for me, when it all clicked.

The first one came in round 19, 2003, when we lost by 1 point to Freo. I was a kid of 9, and I had never been to a North Melbourne win. I sat on the steps of The MCG and cried my eyes out. I remember my dad coming over to me and saying "The boys can all hear your crying right now, and they just called me, and they told me to let you know that you need to keep cheering. They promised me , that the next time we come and watch them play, they will win the game for you."
Now, that's a big thing to promise a kid of 9, however I didn't know that the next game I'd be at, was in round 22, against a very weak Carlton, in 'Spider' Burton's farewell to football. We demolished them by 124 points. Since that day, I have seen many wins, however, that win, is still the biggest I have ever seen. That win restored my faith in the club, and allowed me to continue going to games, understanding that there will be some disappointment, but there will also be something special every once in a while.

The second came after Glenn Archer's last game, the 2007 Prelim Final against Port Adelaide. Pre-Season, the push for North to relocate to the Gold Coast had erupted, and was, eventually put to rest. However, once put to sleep, there was immediate pressure for North to respond. And boy... did they respond! Jumping from 14th in 2006, to 4th in 2007, North had an outstanding season. To sit back and reflect on that season, it's a scary to thought I nearly lost one of the most important things to me, my football club. It really dawned on me that I needed to get behind the club if I wanted to see them survive.

And now here I am. Creating a blog for the North Melbourne family, as a token of my love and appreciation for the club, all it has done for me, and all it will do for me in the future. I feel like I owe them  one, and, this is how I'll repay them. I hope too see many of you jumping on board with the NORTH MELBOURNE OPINION, as we write and fight for our beloved club.

Have you got a NMFC supporter story you'd like to share? send in an email! nmopinion@hotmail.com , I'd love to hear them!

It's great to have you on board, and to have your support!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete