Monday 20 April 2020

Flashback: Round 7, 2017 v Adelaide

I remember this day so clearly.

I was working weekends at the time and had a deal with my manager that I would go to every North Melbourne game in Vic if I worked weekends when North played interstate.

But I always kept the score close.

The first time I checked the scores was 10 minutes into the first quarter, when North were in front 19 points to Adelaide's 0.

I screenshot the scores because I was beaming. Grinning from ear to ear.

I thought being 19 points up in the first term against the ladder leaders would be North Melbourne's big moment of 2017.

The Crows were undefeated for 2017 and on top.

While North were sitting 15th and had only won their first game of the year the previous week.

So to be 19 points up against the early competition pace setters was an absolute delight.

Little did I know that the best was yet to come.

I remember the game so vividly that I almost didn't need to re-watch it.

I don't need to tell you why. It's all about that opening quarter.

Sixty Four points to Nil.

It was one thing to be a significant margin in front against the ladder leaders.

It was another to hold them scoreless. Not just goalless, but not a single point.

Remarkable.

The game played out pretty evenly for the next three quarters but the damage was already done.

There are a few beautiful things about this game that makes it mean so much to North supporters.

I'd say the main reason is pretty obvious. That the club won just six games for the season and this was something supporters could really enjoy.

That and the fact that a big underdog win is always something fun to reflect upon fondly.

But in my opinion what makes this game so magical is that it only truly meant something - both at the time and to this day - to one club: North Melbourne.

For the 16 other teams, it was "just an upset" but no one really talks about it after it happened.

For Adelaide, it was a disappointing loss but it barely made a dent on their reputation. They remained on top on the ladder and finished the 2017 season as minor premiers.

But it was a moment of joy for North Melbourne and its supporters, who never would've expected that performance or result.

It was also a pure joy for beloved forward Jarrad Waite, who stared in his first game since round one.

22 touches, eight marks, six tackles, six goals and three Brownlow votes for Waitey in his return from injury.

Honestly, if it wasn't for his mammoth performance I don't think this game would be adored as much either.

Hard to think he was only at the club for four seasons, given the impact he had on supporters.

He was brought in via the free agency at the end of 2014 with many of us questioning the decision.

But by the time he departed, we had the answers we needed and gained a new Shinboner for life.

He was always entertaining - mostly for the right reasons but sometimes the bad.

But he always gave his all. And we at North Melbourne are all heart.

There's not much more to say about this game, in my opinion.

As it was a performance completely pulled from no where. No other game North played that year replicated it.

Adelaide was the only top eight side the club managed to defeat all season.

There's truly no better way to reminisce about this game than to watch it.

Go back and relive the first quarter.

Between Brendon Speed's marvellous commentary and Jason Dunstall's sheer disbelief at the events which unfolded is enough for me.

Oh and a bit of Jarred Waite magic, which I will never get sick of.



No comments:

Post a Comment